Menu

Texas Brazos Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Waco : Earle-Napier-Kinnard House


John Baylis Earle bought some land in 1858 and built a modest one-story house for his family. But it wasn’t until Dr. John Smith Napier Sr., moved to town in 1868 that the Earle-Napier-Kinnard house came into its own as a beautiful, Greek-revival-style home. The house is beautiful year-round, but takes on a special ambiance at Christmastime, when each room is decorated for the season. The house is built  of pale pink handmade, local brick, in the Greek Revival style. It has a graceful Ionic portico, ornamental wooden banisters, made to resemble the ironwork of New Orleans, on both the upper and lower galleries, and cypress shutters. This house is said to be the second brick house built in Waco. At the time it was built, Waco was but a small village. Not long after the original one-room house was built, the Civil War began and many of the men from Waco went off to war. Around the turn of the century houses in this area had running water, in the kitchen only, and some electricity. The fireplaces provided heat and a wood stove would have been used for cooking. The house is beautiful year-round, but takes on a special ambiance at Christmastime, when each room is decorated for the season. Also on the grounds is a quaint Victorian Teeling Playhouse, built in 1881, that can be enjoyed by children today.


Location

  • 814 South 4th Street
  • Waco , Texas
  • 76706

Contact

Hours & Fees

  • Sunday, 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
     

  • Adults: $3, Seniors: $2.50, Students: $2, Military & Ages 7 and under: Free


Map